Monday, August 3, 2009

Crispy Mustard Chicken

My freshman year of college I was on the 21 meal a week cafeteria plan. My absolute favorite thing they served was called Crispy Mustard Chicken. I've spent quite a bit of time over the last decade trying to recreate that dish. I've finally got my technique down pretty well -- not exactly the same because I'm sure that those were fried, but this recipe gives you a nice crispy oven-baked chicken. It's quite similar to the Brined Oven-Baked Pork Chops I made a few weeks ago. Normally I make this with breasts, but I have tenders today as a result of a $1.77/lb sale the other week.


I've found that the Panko breadcrumbs are really key to making this turn out crispy in the oven. I like to use Ian's Panko Breadcrumbs because they don't have soybean oil in them like most brands I've seen. These things are fabulous really. Great for topping casseroles, veggies, breading stuff, etc.


Crispy Mustard Chicken (serves 4)
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or tenders)
2-3 T mustard (dijon, brown, etc.)
1 c Panko breadcrumbs

  1. Preheat oven to 450.
  2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and grease with olive/canola oil.
  3. Rinse and pat dry your chicken. Very dry chicken is important here.
  4. Put mustard in one bowl and breadcrumbs in another shallow dish for dredging. Sometimes I'll use a pastry brush to put on the mustard. Also sometimes I'll season the breadcrumbs with salt/pepper/paprika.
  5. After a chicken piece is thoroughly coated in mustard, drop it in the dish with the breadcrumbs. You'll have to pat the breadcrumbs onto the chicken to coat it well. Shake off the excess and place the piece on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat.
  6. Drizzle a couple teaspoons of oil over the top of the pieces (you don't have to douse them just a little on top).
  7. Bake for 10 minutes (tenders)/15 minutes (breasts) and then turn them over carefully. Cook another 5 minutes/ 10 to brown the other side. If you're using really thick chicken breasts it'll probably take closer to 30 minutes to cook the chicken fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin