Monday, August 17, 2009

Review: Mediterranean Tuna-Noodle Casserole

I started with this recipe from What a Crock!

Modifications:

Dairy & Soy-Free White Sauce
2 c rice milk
2 c boiling water + 2 t Better Than Bullion (or you could use 2 c broth)
2-3T olive oil
1/2c + AP flour

I had a very hard time getting this sauce to set up.  I ended up adding a couple extra T of flour in (in a slurry w/ some of the broth) to get it to a decent consistency and even then it still didn't really thicken like it usually does.  I think the proportions weren't right since I was mostly using the proportions in the original recipe which called for whole milk which has some thickening properties of its own (unlike rice milk). 

I was not very optimistic when I poured it into the rest of the ingredients but it actually set up fine in the casserole. 

Cooking the sauce with the peppers in it also didn't make for a very easy time so I think next time I'll saute them then remove them from the oil to actually make the sauce.

Also, I had DH helping me and he didn't quite get that when I said to open 2 cans of tuna (I got 2 12 oz cans) that I didn't actually mean 2 regular 6oz sized cans.  So we ended up with only half of the amount of tuna called for.  In retrospect I kind of liked the fact that it wasn't overpoweringly tuna. 
 
I used elbow macaroni which DS (2) really liked.  It was good that the peppers and artichokes were good sized because they could be easily removed since he didn't care for them.

Verdict:  B+
A decent recipe.  The artichokes & peppers make it a bit more interesting, but it didn't blow my skirt up.  I think I would've liked it to be a bit zippier.  On the other hand, aside from my sauce issues, it was easy to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin