Mushroom Risotto (serves 2-4 as a main/ 6-8 as a side)
1 T olive oil
1/2 mild onion, diced
1 c arborio rice
1/2 c white wine
1 c chopped mushrooms
~4 c chicken broth (hot)
pinch of saffron threads (bloom in hot water)
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook til translucent.
- Heat broth and keep at a simmer.
- Add in the rice stirring to coat all the rice with olive oil. Cook for several minutes until the rice starts to become a little translucent.
- Stir in the white wine and mushrooms. Let the rice absorb the liquid, stirring frequently. Don't let the heat get too high.
- Now begin adding the broth 1/2c at a time, stirring almost constantly until the liquid is absorbed. Keep adding broth in this fashion until the risotto has a creamy consistency and the rice is tender.
- Mix in the saffron. Adjust seasoning. If you eat dairy, you can mix in a 1/4-1/2c of parmesan cheese at the very end before serving.