Monday, July 20, 2009

Brined Oven-Baked Pork Chops

It was my FIL's birthday (72!!) and I cooked. My MIL and I have this arrangement periodically...I bring over food and she provides the ambiance (and the clean house). I volunteered my pork loin chops that I'd cut from my $7, 7lb pork loin. ( I cut two large roasts and 9 chops from that thing....so that's like what $.30/chop....ridiculous!).

Served with Crash Hot Potatoes and an Iceberg Lettuce wedge with homemade ranch, diced tomatoes, and crumbled bacon (menu shamelessly plundered from the Pioneer Woman blog entry about the self-same potatoes).

Brined Oven-Baked Pork Chops

For Brine:
1/4 c kosher salt
3 1/2 c water (v. hot)
3-4 T brown sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1 c ice
  1. Dissolve salt, sugar, and vanilla in hot water.
  2. Add ice.
  3. Then add pork chops and soak 4 hr min pref. overnight.
5 1" pork loin chops

Panko breadcrumbs (Ian's -- no soy!)
1 egg, beaten

  1. Heat oven to 450.
  2. Rinse and pat pork chops dry.
  3. Dip in egg and then breadcrumbs. Drizzle with a scant amt of olive oil.
  4. Place on a greased baking sheet. (I line my rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil and grease that.)
  5. Bake for 30 min. Turning over about halfway through.

The Verdict: Excellent. A+

The brining definitely added flavor (mainly salt) and some moisture to the pork chops. This was my most successful oven-baked breaded item to date. Had an excellent crispy outside (love those Panko breadcrumbs!) without being overcooked inside. DH likened it to Church's Fried Chicken...he said that was a compliment. (eye roll)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin