Saturday, August 1, 2009

Cuban Sandwiches

The Cuban sandwiches turned out well.  I've been trying to simplify some of my menu items (less work for me!), and I've seen quite a few other menu planners suggesting stuff like sandwiches.

Cuban sandwiches were the perfect fit this week since I was going to have pork loin already and then Black Forest Ham was on sale at SunHarvest. 

I did have to make my own bread though since as anyone who's tried shopping for commercially made bread without Dairy or Soy in it can tell you....it's not easy to find.  I find that pretty ridiculous considering that many many classic bread recipes don't involve dairy and they most certainly don't involve soy anything.  I used this French Bread Roll recipe.  I substituted AP flour for the bread flour and divided it into 8 large sandwich rolls.  Not quite like true French bread but a very tasty sandwich roll.

I feel a little silly writing a sandwich recipe out, but here goes anyway. 

Cuban Sandwiches (serves 4)
1/4 lb pork loin, thinly sliced
4 slices Black Forest Ham
Pickles (I used bread & butter but dill is cool too)
Dijon mustard
4 sandwich rolls, sliced
cheese (opt)*

* Most Cuban sandwiches I have had involve Swiss cheese.  DH had muenster on his, and I had some goat milk cheddar.  The kids ate theirs w/o cheese.

Spread Dijon on both sides of the sliced roll.  Layer on a few slices of pork loin, a slice or two of ham, several pickles, and top with cheese if desired.  Toast open faced for a few minutes to melt cheese & warm the rest of the contents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin