Thursday, July 23, 2009

Recipe Round-up

Well, Tuesdays Balsamic Chicken got off to a bad start when I realized that I was more or less out of balsamic....doh! I decided to improvise with the T of balsamic I had left, a good dose of Worcestershire, and then a few T of my fig-cherry jam. That would have been fine except that I then proceeded to neglect my sauce and it burned. We salvaged the chicken, but only just.

The one bright spot of the evening was the asparagus. This recipe was vaguely inspired by a dish my grandmother always used to make for company (canned asparagus, cream of something soup, crumbled cracker topping, and sliced hardboiled egg at the end).

Asparagus "Gratin"

1 bunch asparagus, trimmed into 3-4" pieces
handful of Ritz-style crackers (I used our Wild Oats Original Crackers that are SF&DF!)
lemon-pepper seasoning

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Place asparagus into baking dish. Top with crumbled crackers and a liberal sprinkling of lemon-pepper seasoning.
  3. Bake for 15 min or so.

The Verdict: A-

My 2 yo loved this! We thought it was good as well. Next time I might toss the asparagus with a little mayo (Hellman's Canola is DF&SF).

______________________

Wednesday's Souvlaki wasn't anything particularly exciting. However, I did experiment with grilling some Halloumi, which was a nice treat. I also served everything (Souvlaki, Halloumi, toasted pita pieces, olives, curried couscous w/ peas, golden raisins, and some carrot sticks) family-style on the dining room table. The kids really loved the picnic feeling of the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin