Carrot Souffle (Serves 4)
1.5 lb carrots, peeled & cut into a few pieces
1/2 c coconut milk
2 egg yolks or egg replacer
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 c brown sugar
1 t baking powder
1/4 c non-dairy milk alternative (I used So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage)
- Steam or boil your carrots til soft. Then roughly mash them with a fork or potato masher.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place coconut milk, vanilla, carrots, eggs, and bron sugar in a blender. Blend til very smooth. This is going to take a bit. I usually have to stop and move things around a bit. It works best too if the liquids are on the bottom.
- Pour your carrot puree into a glass casserole dish (I use an 8x8 square or smaller with this amount).
- Mix in the baking powder. You can also add in a couple of tablespoons of flour at this point to make a stiffer souffle if you like.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
You can vary the seasoning -- ginger or nutmeg would be a natural fit with carrot. I was also thinking that some orange flavor would go nicely, so maybe using some orange juice (and less sugar, I bet) or orange extract instead of vanilla. This is a great holiday recipe too.
Our Krazy Kitchen's Fall Recipe Roundup