Thursday, October 29, 2009

Carrot Souffle

I based my recipe on this recipe from Recipezaar.  Then I started making modifications to it.  So here's my version.

Carrot Souffle (Serves 4)
1.5 lb carrots, peeled & cut into a few pieces
1/2 c coconut milk
2 egg yolks or egg replacer
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 c brown sugar
1 t baking powder
1/4 c non-dairy milk alternative (I used So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage)
  1. Steam or boil your carrots til soft.  Then roughly mash them with a fork or potato masher.
  2. Preheat oven to 350F.
  3. Place coconut milk, vanilla, carrots, eggs, and bron sugar in a blender.  Blend til very smooth.  This is going to take a bit.  I usually have to stop and move things around a bit.  It works best too if the liquids are on the bottom.
  4. Pour your carrot puree into a glass casserole dish (I use an 8x8 square or smaller with this amount).  
  5. Mix in the baking powder.  You can also add in a couple of tablespoons of flour at this point to make a stiffer souffle if you like. 
  6. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.  
My younger child loves this.  My husbands says it tastes like pie! 

You can vary the seasoning -- ginger or nutmeg would be a natural fit with carrot.  I was also thinking that some orange flavor would go nicely, so maybe using some orange juice (and less sugar, I bet) or orange extract instead of vanilla.  This is a great holiday recipe too.


Posted to  Our Krazy Kitchen's Fall Recipe Roundup

4 comments:

  1. Visiting from The Krazy Kitchen, this sounds delicious and perfect for the holidays. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT!!! recipe. Sounds wonderful.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting & commenting. I thought the holiday food meme was a fun one....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Different and delicious! Thanks for adding it to the party at the Krazy Kitchen :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin